Choose your Country or Region
Europe & Middle East
Latin America & Caribbean
Join Cranberry Club
Please enter your information below to join the Cranberry Club
Sign in to the Cranberry Club
Thanks you for joining the Cranberry Club
Your password has been reset successfully
Thank you, instructions to reset your password has been sent to your email.
A confirmation email has been sent to the email address you used to register your account.
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. “Chapter 2: Shifts Needed To Align With Healthy Eating Patterns.”
- American Urological Association. "Adult UTI: Epidemiology/Socioeconomics/Education." 2016.
- Antimicrobial resistance: global report on surveillance 2014; WHO; http://www.who.int/drugresistance/documents/surveillancereport/en/
- Bass PF 3d, Jarvis JA, Mitchell CK. Urinary tract infections. Prim Care. 2003;30:41–61.
- Bent S, Nallamothu BK, Simel DL, Fihn SD, Saint S. Does this woman have an acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection? JAMA 2002; 287:2701–2710.
- Bergeron et al. (2012). "Chicken as Reservoir for Extraintestinal Pathogenic Escherichia coli in Humans, Canada."Emerging Infectious Diseases.
- Bhagwat S, Haytowitz DB, Holden, JM. USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Foods, Release 3.1. Nutrition Data Laboratory-beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center. USDA. 2014, http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/80400525/Data/Flav/Flav_R03-1.pdf:
- Bonifait L, Grenier D. Cranberry polyphenols: potential benefits for dental caries and periodontal disease. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, 2010; 76: a130.
- Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections; Institute for Healthcare Improvement; http://www.ihi.org/topics/cauti/Pages/default.aspx.
- Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy. “Second most common infection in the U.S. proving harder to treat with current antibiotics.” ScienceDaily. 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). “Antibiotic / Antimicrobial Resistance.” 2016.
- Choose my plate.gov. All about the fruit group, 2016 http://www.choosemyplate.gov/fruit
- Chughtai B, Howell A, et al. Variability of commercial cranberry dietary supplements for the prevention of uropathogenic bacterial adhesion. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology , Volume 215 , Issue 1 , 122 – 123.
- Conway PH, Cnaan A, Zaoutis T, Henry BV, Grundmeier RW, Keren R. Recurrent urinary tract infections in children: risk factors and association with prophylactic antimicrobials. JAMA. 2007;298:179–186. doi: 10.1001/jama.298.2.179.
- Dai B, Liu Y, Jia J, Mei C. Long-term antibiotics for the prevention of recurrent urinary tract infection in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Dis Child. 2010;95:499–508. doi: 10.1136/adc.2009.173112.
- de Llano DG, Esteban-Fernández A, Sánchez-Patán F, Martínlvarez PJ, Moreno-Arribas MV, Bartolomé B. Anti-Adhesive Activity of Cranberry Phenolic Compounds and Their Microbial-Derived Metabolites against Uropathogenic Escherichia coli in Bladder Epithelial Cell Cultures. Int J Mol Sci, 2015; 16(6):12119-30.
- Foxman B, Barlow R, D'Arcy H, Gillespie B, Sobel JD. Urinary tract infection: self-reported incidence and associated costs. Ann Epidemiol. 2000 Nov;10(8):509-15.
- Foxman B, Cronenwett AEW, Spino C, et al. Cranberry juice capsules and urinary tract infection after surgery: results of a randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015; 213(2):194.e1-8.
- Foxman B. Urinary tract infection syndromes: occurrence, recurrence, bacteriology, risk factors, and disease burden. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2014;28:1–13.
- Get Smart About Antibiotics Week 2015: Preserve the Power of Antibiotics; CDC; http://www.cdc.gov/media/dpk/2015/dpk-antibiotics-week-2015.html
- Gordon LB, Waxman MJ, Ragsdale L, Mermel LA. Overtreatment of presumed urinary tract infection in older women presenting to the emergency department. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013;61:788-792. - See more at: https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/interpretation-of-urinalysis-and-urine-culture-for-uti-treatment#sthash.tiNhEjFM.dpuf
- Gotteland M, Andrews M, Toledo M, Munoz L, Caceres P, Anzini A, Witting E, Speisky H, Salazar G. Modulation of Helicobacter pylori colonization with cranberry juice and Lactobacillus johnsonii La1 in children. Nutrition, 2008; 24:421-426.
- Gupta K, Hooton TM, Stamm, WE. Increasing antimicrobial resistance and the management of uncomplicated community-acquired urinary tract infections. Ann Intern Med, 2001; 135:41–50.
- Haley RW, Hooton TM, Culver DH, et al. Nosocomial infections in U.S. hospitals, 1975–1976: estimated frequency by selected characteristics of patients. Am J Med 1981; 70:947–959.
- Hotchkiss AT, Nunez A, Strahan GD, Chau H, White A, Marais J, Hom K, Vakkalanka MS, Di R, Yam KL, Khoo C. Cranberry Xyloglucan Structure and Inhibition of Escherichia coli Adhesion to Epithelial Cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 Jun 17;63(23):5622-33.
- Howell AB, Reed JD, Krueger CG, Winterbottom R, Cunningham DG, Leahy M. A-type cranberry proanthocyanidins and uropathogenic bacterial anti-adhesion activity. Phytochemistry, 2005; 66(18): 2281-2291.
- Juthani-Mehta M, Van Ness PH, Bianco L, Rink A, Rubeck S, Ginter S, Argraves S, Charpentier P, Acampora D, Trentalange M, Quagliarello V, Peduzzi P. Effect of Cranberry Capsules on Bacteriuria Plus Pyuria Among Older Women in Nursing HomesA Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. Published online October 27, 2016. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.16141
- Kaspar KL, Howell B, Khoo C. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to assess the bacterial anti-adhesion effects of cranberry extract beverages. Food and Function, 2015; 6(4):1212-7.
- Klevens RM, Edwards JR, Richards CL Jr, Horan TC, Gaynes RP, Pollock DA, Cardo DM. Estimating health care-associated infections and deaths in U.S. hospitals, 2002. Public Health Rep. 2007 Mar-Apr;122(2):160-6.
- Ma°rild S, Jodal U. Incidence rate of first-time symptomatic urinary tract infection in children under 6 years of age. Acta Paediatr 1998;/87:/54952.
- Maki K, Kaspar, K, Khoo C, Derrig L, Schild A, Gupta K. Consumption of a cranberry juice beverage lowered the number of clinical urinary tract infection episodes in women with a recent history of urinary tract infection. Am J Clin Nutr 2016 103: 6 1434-1442; doi:10.3945/ajcn.116.130542.
- Mazzulli T. Resistance trends in urinary tract pathogens and impact on management. J Urol 2002;168:1720-1722.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). “Urinary Tract Infections in Adults.” National Kidney Urologic Disease Information Clearinghouse. 2012.
- National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004. Am J Infect Control 2004; 32:470–485.
- Nicolle LE. Cranberry for Prevention of Urinary Tract Infection?Time to Move On. JAMA. Published online October 27, 2016. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.16140
- Özcan E, Sun J, Rowley DC, Sela DA, (2017). A human gut commensal ferments cranberry carbohydrates to produce formate. Appl Environ Microbiol, 83(17): e01097-17.
- Rosen DA, Hooton TM, Stamm WE, Humphrey PA, Hultgren SJ.Detection of intracellular bacterial communities in human urinary tract infection. PLoS Med. 2007 Dec;4(12):e329.
- Salo J, Uhari M, Helminen M, Korppi M, Nieminen T, Pokka T, Kontiokari T. Cranberry juice for the prevention of recurrences of urinary tract infections in children: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis, 2012; 54(3):340-6.
- Schappert SM, Rechtsteiner EA. Ambulatory medical care utilization estimates for 2006. National health statistics reports; no 8. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2008.
- Schappert SM. Ambulatory care visits to physician offices, hospital outpatient departments, and emergency departments. United States, 1997. Vital Health Stat 13. 1999;143: i–iv,1–39.
- Scott, RDII. The Direct Medical Costs of Healthcare-Associated Infections in U.S. Hospitals and the Benefits of Prevention. Centers for Disease Control, March 2009.
- Shaikh N, Morone NE, Bost JE, Farrell MH. Prevalence of urinary tract infection in childhood: a meta-analysis. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2008;/27:/3028.
- Shapiro, D.J., Hicks, L.A., Pavia, A.T. and Hersh, A.L., 2013. Antibiotic prescribing for adults in ambulatory care in the USA, 2007–09. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, p.dkt301.
- Shmuely H, Burger O, Neeman I, Yahav J, Samra Z, Niv Y, Sharon N, Weiss E, Athamna A, Tabak M, Ofek I. Susceptibility of Helicobacter pylori isolates to the antiadhesion activity of a high-molecular-weight constituent of cranberry. Diagn Microbiol Infec Dis, 2004; 50(4): 231-5.
- Shmuely H, Ofek I, Weiss EI, Rones Z, Houri-Haddad Y. Cranberry components for the therapy of infectious disease. Curr Opin Biotechnol, 2012; 23(2):148-52.
- Shmuely H, Yahav J, Samra Z, Chodick G, Koren R, Niv Y, Ofek I. Effect of cranberry juice on eradication of Helicobacter pylori in patients treated with antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor. Mol Nutr Food Res, 2007; 51(6):746-51.
- Stone, P. Economic burden of healthcare-associated infections: an American perspective. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2009 Oct; 9(5): 417–422.
- Tambyah PA. Catheter-associated urinary tract infections: diagnosis and prophylaxis. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2004; 24(Suppl 1):S44–S48.
- The 2016 Ocean Spray/KRC Research U.S. Antibiotics and Cranberry Juice online survey was conducted from May 6 to May 8 among 1,000 American adults, 18 years and older.
- Vinson, J. A.; Su, X.; Zubik, L.; Bose, P., Phenol antioxidant quantity and quality in foods: fruits. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2001, 49, 5315-5321.
- Wang CH, Fang CC, Chen NC, Liu SS, Yu PH, Wu TY, Chen WT, Lee CC, Chen SC . Cranberry-containing products for prevention of urinary tract infections in susceptible populations: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med, 2012; 172(13):988-96.
- Warren JW. Catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2001;17(4):299-303.
- Weinstein JW, Mazon D, Pantelick E, Reagan-Cirincione P, Dembry LM, Hierholzer WJ,Jr. A decade of prevalence surveys in a tertiary-care center: Trends in nosocomial infection rates, device utilization, and patient acuity. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20(8):543-548.
- World Gastroenterology Organisation. Helicobacter pylori in Developing Countries. Accessed February 17, 2016: http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/guidelines/global-guidelines/helicobacter-pylori-in-developing-countries/helicobacter-pylori-in-developing-countries-english
- World Health Organization (WHO). “Antimicrobial resistance: Data and statistics”
- Wu et al. Does cranberry benefit oral health? Nutrition 2018, Boston, June 9-12, 2018; Poster 07-041
- Zhang L, Ma J, Pan K, Go VLW, Chen J, You WC. Efficacy of cranberry juice on Helicobacter pylori infection: a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial. Helicobacter, 2005; 10, 139-145.
- Zhang M. High antibiotic resistance rate: A difficult issue for Helicobacter pylori eradication treatment. World J Gastroenterol, 2015; 21(48):13432-7.