- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh basil, 2 leaves set aside for garnish
- 2 ounces sliced almonds 1/2 ounce fresh mint, 3 leaves set aside for garnish
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- Cranberry-Nutmeg Reduction
- 3 cups Ocean Spray® 100% Juice Cranberry Juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large beefsteak tomato
- 1 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella cheese
- Reserved basil and mint leaves, garnish
To Make Pesto:
Combine all pesto ingredients in food processor. Process on high speed for 2 minutes or until smooth.
To Make Cranberry-Nutmeg Reduction:
Pour cranberry juice into medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until reduced to thin syrup consistency. Add nutmeg; stir until blended.
Slice tomato into 4 or 5 even slices; cut each slice in half. Slice cheese the same way. Stack basil and mint leaves together; roll tightly into a cylinder and thinly slice.
Spoon about 1/2 cup pesto onto each serving plate, spreading to cover. Top each with alternating slices tomato and cheese. Garnish with dried cranberries, basil and mint. Drizzle Cranberry-Nutmeg Reduction evenly over each serving.
Makes 4 servings.
2011 Ocean Spray Foodservice Ultimate Cranberry Recipe Contest Finalist Shawn Bucher