- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- 6 thickly sliced (about 1 1/4”) pieces of French or Italian bread
- 1/4 cup cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 12-18 large whole fresh basil leaves
In a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat, bring juice and fresh blueberries to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low but still a simmering boil, continue cooking for about 25 minutes or until the it is reduced by about one-half. Turn off heat and set aside.
Toast until golden-brown the bread.
On individual serving plates, place a toasted slice of bread and drizzle with a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Place 2-3 whole fresh basil leaves. Place the mozzarella on top of the basil. Drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of the still warm reduced Ocean Spray blueberry sauce. (I garnished with an edible flower--optional!) Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Ocean Spray 2011 Blueberry Recipe Contest Winner