- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Maple syrup for decoration and drizzling
- Mint sprigs for decoration
- Vanilla ice cream, if desired for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine cranberries, brown sugar, oil, orange zest and cinnamon in 11x7-inch baking dish; toss until mixed. Spread mixture evenly in dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cranberries are tender, stirring occasionally.
To assemble quesadillas, spread 1/4 of the cream cheese over each tortilla almost to edges. Top 2 of the tortillas evenly with roasted cranberry mixture. Place remaining 2 tortillas cheese side down over cranberry mixture.
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Place 1 of the quesadillas in skillet, pressing down firmly with metal spatula. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, carefully turning once. Add additional butter to skillet if necessary. Cook remaining quesadilla.
To serve, cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Place on serving plates and drizzle with desired amount of maple syrup. Garnish with mint and serve with ice cream.
Makes 2 to 4 servings.
2008 Ultimate Cranberry Recipe Contest Finalist
Los Angeles, CA