- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3 ½ -pound beef brisket
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons dried herbes de Provence
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup dried apricots, cut in halves
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Heat olive oil in a 6 ½ quart Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add beef brisket and cook until golden brown on one side, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn meat over and continue cooking until other side is golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add beef stock, cranberry juice, onions and herbes de Provence. Cover; bring to a boil.
Place covered Dutch oven in oven and bake for 2 hours.
Add carrots, potatoes, apricots, dried cranberries and garlic to Dutch oven; arrange around beef. Cover; continue baking until vegetables are tender, about 45 to 50 minutes more.
Serve meat sliced against the grain with vegetables and any sauce left in the pan.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.