- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/4 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 tablespoon dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 (3 ½ -pound) whole chicken, giblets removed, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried bay leaf
Add boiling water, brown sugar, salt, herbs, and pepper to a large stock pot. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve. Add remaining water, juice, and red wine; mix well.
Submerge chicken in brine; use a pan cover to hold chicken under brine if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
Remove chicken from brine and drain well; pat dry. Discard brine.
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Sprinkle top of chicken with 1 teaspoon dried herbs and place in greased pan. Bake chicken for 45 to 50 minutes or until juices run clear.
Serve; refrigerate leftovers.