- 2 1/2 quart water
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 medium jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 11-ounce can sweet yellow and white corn, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 6 to 8 corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch strips and fried crisp
- 6 to 8 cilantro sprigs
Combine water and 1 cup juice drink in 4-quart stockpot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breast, chicken base, garlic powder and white pepper; boil for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 cup juice drink in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add jalapeños, carrots and onion; cook for 7 minutes or until tender.
Reduce heat under stockpot; transfer chicken breast to plate. Add sautéed vegetables to stockpot; return to a boil for 5 minutes. Transfer 1 cup stock from pot to a small mixing bowl; add 1/2 cup dried cranberries and set aside.
Add corn and black beans to stockpot. Dice chicken breast into 1/2-inch cubes; add to stockpot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries; simmer for 5 minutes longer.
To make crème fraîche, place sour cream, buttermilk and reconstituted dried cranberries into a food processor. Process until smooth.
To serve, ladle soup into large, rimmed soup bowl; top with crispy tortilla strips. Drizzle with crème fraîche. Garnish with cilantro.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
2011 Ocean Spray Foodservice Ultimate Cranberry Recipe Contest Winner Shonna Ebert