- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Korean chili paste (gochujang), divided use
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, divided use
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/4 cup cracker meal
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 6 scallions, finely chopped, plus 2 scallions for garnish, if desired
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided use
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw
- 8 ounces cole slaw
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 whole ruby red grapefruits, sectioned
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
In a medium saucepan, boil grapefruit juice with sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and syrup has thickened and reduced to 1 cup. Stir in 1 teaspoon gochujang and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover a baking pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix pork, beef, cracker meal, eggs, scallions, garlic, ginger, remaining 1 teaspoon gochujang, 2 teaspoons salt, tamari, mirin and remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Scoop 18 meatballs using 1/4-cup measure for each. Bake for 20 minutes; remove from oven. Spoon 1 teaspoon of grapefruit glaze on each meatball. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until internal temperature shows 160 degrees F.
In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in both slaws and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes until slaw is tender.
Plate each dish with 1/2 cup rice, a portion of cooked slaw, 3 meatballs and at least 4 sections of grapefruit. Pour remaining grapefruit glaze over each serving. Garnish with sesame seeds and with chopped scallions, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
2018 Ocean Spray® Grapefruit Gourmet Recipe Contest Finalist, Suzanne Banfield