- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo (from 7.5 ounce can)
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, tails removed, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium green, red, or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas or hard taco shells
- 1 avocado, diced
- Pico de gallo for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cotija cheese, crumbled for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
In medium bowl, stir together juice, sugar, chipotle pepper and salt. Stir in shrimp, coating completely in marinade. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring at least once during marinating.
Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil 2 minutes; add pepper strips and cook and stir 1 minute longer. Drain marinade from shrimp; discard marinade. Add shrimp to skillet. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes longer, until shrimp are no longer pink.
For each taco, spoon about 1/2 cup shrimp mixture into tortilla. Top with avocado, pico de gallo, cilantro and cheese. Serve with a squeeze of lime.
Makes 4 servings (2 tacos each).