- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 14-ounce cans vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 cup yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lime, cut into small wedges
- 4 green onions, sliced
Heat oil in 3 to 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, coriander and turmeric. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth, lentils and split peas. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until split peas are desired tenderness. Stir in cranberry pomegranate juice drink, parsley and mint. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Squeeze lime juice over individual servings and sprinkle with green onions.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: for fewer calories and less sugar, try this recipe with Light or Diet Cran-Pomegranate™ Juice Drinks.
Per Serving: Cal. 370 (19% DV), Fat Cal. 64, Pro. 18 g (35% DV), Carb. 58 g (19% DV), Fat 8 g (12% DV), Chol. 0 mg (0% DV), Sod. 411 mg (17% DV), Vit. A 147 RE (29% DV), Vit C 35 mg (59% DV), Vit. E 0 mg (0% DV), Calcium 74 mg (7% DV), Iron 4 mg (23% DV), Folate 148 Ug (37% DV), Zinc 2 mg (16% DV), Pot. 822 mg (23% DV), Dietary Exchange: Starch 4, Meat 1, Fat 1