- 2 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breasts
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- Mixed nuts, garnish (optional)
In a 4-quart saucepan add water, bay leaf and dried basil leaves. Bring to a boil; add orzo.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente (about 8 to 9 minutes); drain, remove bay leaf and set aside.
In large bowl, combine all salad ingredients. Add pasta; toss until well mixed.
Meanwhile, add dressing ingredients to a 1-cup glass measure; mix well. Add just enough dressing to coat all ingredients.
To serve, place salad on serving plates; garnish with mixed nuts if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Per Serving: Cal. 344 (17% DV), Fat Cal. 106, Pro. 18 g (36% DV), Carb. 41 g (14% DV), Fat 12 g (18% DV), Chol. 36 mg (12% DV), Sod. 400 mg (17% DV), Vit. A 74 RE (14% DV), Vit C 15 mg (25% DV), Vit. E 0 mg (1% DV), Calcium 33 mg (3% DV), Iron 2 mg (11% DV), Folate 65 Ug (16% DV), Zinc 1 mg (7% DV), Pot. 280 mg (8% DV), Dietary Exchange: Starch 3, Meat 2